Slow Food Brisbane launched the Snail of Approval Program in 2018.
This recognition program aims to inspire producers, food artisans, chefs, restaurant owners and food outlets to use and promote good, clean and fair ingredients from our local area.
Businesses/Slow Food Activities can be recognised if they are making efforts to produce food which is good, clean and fair.
- GOOD:seasonal, local, quality, flavoursome and healthy food
- CLEAN:sustainable production with low impact on the environment
- FAIR:accessible prices for consumers and fair conditions and pay for producers and staff/workers
Benefits to your business/Slow Food Activity
This recognition scheme includes the following benefits:
- Snail of Approval decal to be displayed at your place of business/Slow Food Activity
- Use of the Slow Food Brisbane Snail of Approval logo on your menus and/or publicity materials in accordance with our guidelines
- Listing on the Slow Food Brisbane website directory of recognised businesses
- Your business/Slow Food Activity displayed as a recognised Snail of Approval recipient on a number of Food Trails featured in the region (to be confirmed and subject to print runs)
- Included in the International directory of Slow Food producers and eateries – Slow Food Planet mobile application.
- Slow Food operates in over 150 different countries, so tourists, especially those from Europe, other parts of Australia, Asia and North America, realize the significance of the snail and often choose to patronize establishments that comply with Slow Food principles.
Who can apply?
Businesses/Slow Food Activities that support the philosophy of Good, Clean and Fair food that are based in the wider Brisbane area from Caloundra to the Gold Coast, the Scenic Rim to the Darling Downs (loosely). Nominations can come from growers, restaurants, cafes, food artisans, retail outlets. Successful applicants must be, or make application to be members of Slow Food Brisbane.
What does it cost?
The application process is free.
It is expected that successful applicants support the Slow Food movement by becoming (or already are) members of Slow Food Brisbane.
The Snail of Approval is a recognition program for food producers, artisans, retail outlets, restaurants and cafes that demonstrate a philosophy of adopting earth friendly practices. These might include reduction in the use of chemicals, use of local and low food mile ingredients, preserving vanishing animal breeds and plant varieties, animal friendly practices, support of small producers, striving to create food that is Good, Clean and Fair.
Importantly the Snail of Approval award recognises effort and intent, and should not be seen as an accreditation for any of these areas.
The Snail of Approval program recognises that adoption of these practices fall on a continuum and is not a recognition of perfection. It is envisaged that once in the Snail of Approval program, businesses will find opportunities for improvement towards Good, Clean and Fair food for all.
SLOW FOOD BRISBANE – SNAIL OF APPROVAL NOMINATION PROCESS – 2018
Guidelines for Nomination
- Nomination forms for 2018 should be submitted by 31 January 2018 or 30th June 2018 to the Slow Food Brisbane Committee via this online application process.
- The committee will consider the nominations (including an onsite visit if necessary).
- Recipients will be announced at a Slow Food Brisbane event and on our social media and website platforms.
- Businesses/Slow Food Activities must be Slow Food Members to be awarded this recognition.
- This recognition is subject to periodic review.
To apply for the Slow Food Brisbane Snail of Approval please download the form from the links at the top of this page, complete the application and email it to us at email@example.com.