On a cold winter’s evening, Rani, Founder of Rani’s cuisine dazzled us all with spices. We were taken on a journey that started with the history of spices and how they grow and are used to a glimpse of the spice market in Deli. Rani shared her knowledge and experience to explore the spices of India and especially Kerala. We learnt about the medical and culinary uses for spice, that there were dozens of different types of pepper and the way many of the spices are processed.
Panch Phoran Cauliflower (Indian five spice) and Green Beans in a Fenugreek and Coconut Sauce that were prepared as a cooking demonstration and were added to the meal that included:
- 2 year Aged Basmati Rice with Kashmiri Saffron
- Chicken Pepper Masala
- South Indian Pumpkin Poriyal
Finished off with handmade cinnamon and Sichuan pepper ice creams.
The meal was accompanied by small batch Australian wines including:
- The Rebel Bubbles NV made by Jen Pfeiffer in Rutherglen Victoria as part of her Rock it Like a Redhead range
- Liz Richardson Fiano – fiano was chosen not just because it is a good pair with the curries, but also because it is a drought resistant grape that grows well in Australia.
- Holm Oak Pinot Noir made by Bec Duffy in Tasmania with grapes tended by her husband.
- Blowfly Chambourcin made by Warrumbungle wines. Chambourcin was chosen because it is a disease resistant grape and grows well in Australia.
Welcome to our Community of Snails